Friday, May 23, 2008

Seeds and the Book of Mormon

I wanted this to be a separate post from the last one.

Seeds are the strength of the Book of Mormon, whatever a person thinks about he will become. When a person reads the Book of Mormon he is forced to think about the things he is reading about. Therefore, a person reading the Book of Mormon can't help but take inventory of his life, or decide if he wants to live the kind of life the Book of Mormon espouses. Not only that, but he is forced to figure out if the man that the book preaches about, Jesus Christ, is the kind of man he would like to emulate.

So seeds are being nourished when a person reads the Book of Mormon. How could a person read Alma 5 and not ask himself some questions about how he is living his life? How can a person read about Ammon and King Lamoni and not ask himself if he would be willing to be a servant for others to help them come unto Christ? It is impossible not to--if we don't caste out the thought, and the seed, as we read.

I don't believe there is anything magical about the Book of Mormon. I don't think that its pages are laced with super natural powers that make us better as we read them, at least not for me. I just know, from personal experience, that when I read the book I am confronted with seeds that can make me better if I think about them and do something with them. To me, that is the strength of the Book of Mormon, it makes you take inventory of your life and puts incredibly good seeds in your heart.

And, at a later time, we can discuss how putting bad seeds in your heart, like watching inappropriate media can put horribly destructive seeds in your heart. But that is for a later time, I wanted to talk about a very good seed.

No comments: