Sunday, February 24, 2008

BYU Basketball

I love the Cougars. They have only lost at home one time since I have been at BYU. That alone makes them extremely fun to watch. I also like their style of play.

But there is one thing that irritates me beyond words. BYU players look like they have never played against athletic players all their life! How many times did they get swatted yesterday? Chris Collingsworth's blocked shot was a great example. He caught the ball down low and tried to go straight up with it. The other freshman on the court, Billy White from San Diego State, jumped up and annihilated the ball. I loved White's face after. He had the look that said, "Did you honestly think you were going to get that shot off?" And that is the problem. It seems like BYU players, especially the tall ones, have never played against tall, athletic people their whole lives. Plaisted, Miles and Collingsworth all get blocked on a regular basis, especially when they play athletic teams. It looks like they all have played against short people they can dominate their whole lives and when they play against bigger people they get swatted. 

Dave Rose needs to pull them aside before they play the UNLV's and the SDSU's of the conference--teams with athletic, tall men--and tell them that they are not in Provo anymore. I think it would do wonders for how many of our shots get sent into the stands.

Also, we are incapable of winning away from the Marriott center. It is irritating. We are not going to get a good seed because we can only win at home. All I want for this year to be considered a success is to win one NCAA Tournament game. That is all I want. I would be ecstatic. 

No comments: