Thursday, August 14, 2008

Transition

We are settled rather nicely into Denver now. Our apartment is unpacked and we have everything set up. The only thing I have left to do is to arrange my clothes a little better. We have had a very efficient two weeks here.

I started law school orientation. All of the professors and deans were trying to scare us all week. They have been bracing us for the most intense schooling of our life. I believe it will be. Law school is probably the school that puts the most weight into class ranking; hiring is entirely dependent upon class ranking. You need people skills, but a lot of employers will only interview within the top ten percent of the class. It should be rather intense.

I have met three people in my class that are Mormons and two other guys that went to BYU. There are probably others also. It has been a strange week. It is nice to have some people who make me feel somewhat in my element. We are probably going to become really good friends. It will be nice to study with people like the guys I have met.

I was called to be the second counselor in the Elders Quorum of my new ward tonight. I am excited to serve in this capacity. I can feel a difference between the members here and in Utah. The members in Colorado are more excited about being members of the church. Also, the ward has much more of a family feel here than in Utah. You know so many people in Utah and have so many members around that nobody feels the NEED to get to know others. In Colorado people care about knowing and associating with Mormons in their ward because it is the only opportunity that they will get. I am excited to serve the people here but am thinking I won't have much free time starting next week. I will be at school from 7:45am to 7pm every night and helping with the kids when I get home. I am not going to have much free time.

Even though I will have no free time I must admit that I am feeling a deep sense of gratitude lately. Things are going ideally in life. I couldn't have planned it any better. I am getting to go to a graduate school and not having to pay for it almost. I am studying something that is interesting me a lot lately, and I have an incredible family. Maybe most importantly, I have this deep, abiding feeling that I know, and am coming to know more, who I am. I have this deep, strong feeling of faith in God and Jesus Christ. It makes life have more substance and joy. I really believe also that God speaks through men called by Him even in our day. These beliefs and this amazing knowledge makes me grateful and joyful. I am loving living in the land of my mission and am excited to see where everything leads.

5 comments:

Becky Knowles said...

Matt, thanks for blogging. I used to be sad that you were a year ahead of Sam in school, but now I'm actually grateful to get to watch you and be able to see how I can be better prepared for what is to come. Thanks for paving the way. :)

Cindy said...

happy birthday!!!!!

Carole said...

Always remember those precious feelings Matt. Write them down in your journal, under "The hand of God in my life".

Tiffany said...

question...Have you ever been a member of ward in Utah, that was not a college, or newly married ward? haha ;)

The Pines at Castle Rock said...

Yes, I have been a member of two such wards.

Did that question backfire?